Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Further reassessing

I recently visited Casey Klahn's blog and his 11-30 post really resonated with me, as they often do. During these times of change or downturn might we want to retreat and reflect on where we're going with our art? 

Do I want to follow trends? What kind of art would I make if I knew there was no chance of selling it? And as Casey asks, does it really matter? My answer is no, it doesn't matter to me at all. 

All of my paintings are very vivid and I just cannot bring myself to use neutrals over the wonderful colors. Then what happens to contrast? I admire paintings that make use of quiet areas in a painting and always wish I could to it too. I might experiment on some small pieces and see if my hand can put brush to canvas with neutral colors. Won't be easy!

Take a look at my friend Dusanka's slide show to see good examples of use of color and neutrals.

While I was at Casey's blog I was reminded how much I enjoy reading Edward Winkleman's blog and his good sense writing. He has some good advice about how artists can handle this challenging time. Part two is here.
Scroll down to his 11-13-08 post to see part one.

1 comment :

Casey Klahn said...

Thank you for responding (and linking) to my humble post.